Steps to successful careers: critical thinking skills and self-motivation
Why and How? What if and Why not? (Think Different)
• Why graduate studies? Know yourself/status — professional goal/preference/style
• Learn actively (through regular classes/seminars) to empower yourself
• Read and analyze relevant papers — focus and critical questions/purpose
• Think your own hypotheses/ideas — novelty and significance
• Discuss your ideas with respected professors/mentors/colleagues
• Prepare a future (experimental) plan(s) — to prove/disprove your hypothesis
• Do it with curiosity and passion — timing
• Be positive and analyze failure(s) to improve your experiment(s)
• Self-motivated with high aims (Never give up and be persistent like a turtle)
• Know your strength & weakness and do your best (All in)!
• Be healthy physically and mentally!
• Practice English speaking – present seminars & grant writing in English
• Always think a question or two — active engagement/learning
• Networking, whenever possible!
by Byoung-Joon (B.J.) Song, Ph.D.